The day disaster struck

Hello dear reader! Believe it or not, I have attempted to write for these past two weeks but I somehow never found the right moment. Life kept coming in the way. A lot of things have happened since my last post but I’ll spare you the boring details and share with you the ‘highlights’.

Almost two weeks ago I finally made my way to my hairdresser and dyed my hair. It is now a bright shade of red again, much to my mother’s frustration, and I feel like a different person. Isn’t it amazing what a lick of hair colour can do to one’s morale? I swear I felt like I was floating, not walking, out of that salon! In the meantime, my congestion has persisted but I have learned to live with it. I have resigned myself to breathing through my mouth for the next four months and I am not being negative, just realistic. Maia recovered from her cold (after two whole weeks cooped up at home) but is already showing signs of another bout of the flu! I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again…I’ve never longed for summer like I am right now.

On a positive note, I am currently proofreading the manuscript for a novel, written by an old friend. I am enjoying it immensely and really cannot understand why I never thought of taking this more seriously until now. I have also started walking in a bid to get a bit fitter. The first time I went I could barely reach home. I ached everywhere! The second time was better. The third day I got caught up working and doing the houswork so I didn’t go. The fourth day DISASTER STRUCK. That day was yesterday.

The day started with a visit to our hospital’s A&E. I was bleeding and I was at my wit’s end. Blood samples were taken, an ECG was performed, an examination by the doctor on duty was done, I was put on a drip and told I had to stay at the hospital for observation. My husband was meant to be going abroad with friends yesterday morning but postponed his departure and spent the day with me at the maternity ward, holding my hand, entertaining me and generally being the sweetest husband on the face of the earth. He is now skiing on Mount Etna and I left the hospital this afternoon (having had to sign a declaration that I was leaving against one of the doctors’ orders). I am fine and so is the baby but I need to rest so I am spending the next couple of days at my parents’. I didn’t realise how much we use our body to lift, pull, push and move around before now. It’s extremely frustrating having to ask those around you to lift a bag or get something off a shelf for you but what needs to be done, has to be done. I hope the next time I visit the midwives (who are all really sweet and caring) at our hospital will be in four months’ time, ready to deliver our baby.

It’s been an emotional few days. There were moments when I thought we’d lose the littlest one and I had already reconfigured our lives in my mind. It wasn’t pretty but experiencing moments like yesterday’s highlight how good the rest of our lives usually are. And for that I’m grateful.



Add yours →

  1. I hope you’re doing much better! It’s not easy accepting your body’s limitations at times, especially like these, and I’m the same as you, but if that’s what needs to be done, then so be it! Take care xxx

  2. omg hanini!!! i’m so glad to hear everything is ok… please take it easy! hugs xxx

  3. Omg Mau….so glad that everything is better . I got such a fright when I saw the title of your blog.


  4. Oh how scary!! So glad everything is ok! Get some rest.

What are your thoughts? Share them here!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: